[Rhodes22-list] Thanks!

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Mon Nov 22 21:36:24 EST 2004

Lou-
When the wind kicked up 5-6 kts. in the open areas, we were
overpowered. On most boats, the rule of thumb is that "when you're
convinced it's time to reef, it's already too late". Here, we got
over-powered quickly. With family aboard, always safety first and reef
down quickly and quietly-no panic that can get transferred to others
very easily.

For us, compared to the calm sail we had with your wife, I knew we
could push it a bit with significant heeling and find balance, as
opposed to burying the rail. If I remember, we talked about worse case
situations with controlling the boat in increasing winds, short of
squalls, and with limited centerboard, about 1/2 down. Letting the main
out abit for each puff ("when in doubt, let it out"), then adjusting
the traveler as the first trim to spill the wind, and finally, getting
balance through main and gennie reefing.

The "rounding up" or "tender" aspect, aka. responsiveness of the boat,
is all very manageable, as Roger, Bill, Rik. and others have conveyed,
with practice. Actively sailing it as Roger said. Once we headed back
on a long close reach and set the trim accordingly, we found the sweet
spot again. We had the option where we could sail either flatter or as
we did, with some degree of heel (10-15°) for 18-20 kts. with its
neutral helm. On many other boats, the balance would be very difficult
to achieve, and here we avoided knockdown as may have occurred with a
delayed response on another boat.

Jan. 20-23 we'll be there at the Convention Center. Look forward to
getting together with a few pops.