[Rhodes22-list] Thanks!

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Mon Nov 22 22:57:15 EST 2004

Jay, Lou,

It been my experience when sailing a broad reach in heavy air that there is
usually a chop hitting the boat from the stern quarter.  The helm tends to
be very "busy" - i.e. you are always correcting for something throwing you
off course.  Thus, it's very easy to "spin out" or broach if you are trying
for
high speed under these conditions.  The autopilot has a terrible time
maintaining course under these conditions because it's not "smart" enough to
anticipate the effect of the wave that the helmsman can see approaching fast
a couple of boatlengths aft.  For the standard rig (mainsail & genoa), I've
found it's best to put a couple of reefs in the mainsail (or furl it to
about 33% if you have an IMF mainsail) & then carry the full 150% genoa.
The large amount of sail area forward of the mast will tend to cancel out
the boat's natural tendancy to round up in the gusts under these conditions
and point of sail.  But, the helmsman will still need to pay close
attention.  The ultimate version of this strategy is to fly a spinnaker with
a double reefed mainsail under these conditions.  Surf city baby; but,
definitely not for the faint of heart or if you have anyone on board subject
to motion sickness or afraid of going fast!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium