[Rhodes22-list] Sail Cleaning Question

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 13:01:59 EST 2004

This is a post from the Chesapeake Bay forum on this same subject...Hank

The method I used worked well for me - a method that was different from the
one I usually read about.  That method I didn't use was, "spread the sail
out on clean driveway or a lawn, wet it down, gently scrub it with a soft
brush, rinse, and let dry'.  I tried this method.  Found it tedious, not
necessarily effective, and no matter what I did I ended up getting some dirt
and/or discoloration on the sails.

The method I did use was to make use of the bathtub.  It worked for all
three sails, from the 150 genoa to the 90%.  I rolled/folded the sail so
that it would fit into the full-sized bathtub (The 150 came almost to the
very top).  I added warm water until the water came to within about six
inches of the top of the tub.  I added in two cups of soap flakes (not
liquid).  I used a wood paddle from the boat to gently(!) agitate the sail
in the water/soap mix (I never tried to turn the sail, but rather kept
gently pushing down, especially where the air bubbles caused the sail to
float upwards).  I'd agitate about every two or three hours through the
weekend (no, I didn't get up in the middle of the night - I let is just
soak!)  After the first 24 hours I drained all the water (it took a minimum
of 24 hours of soaking and gentle agitation to loosen much of the dirt and
salt).  That water was quite dirty but not black.  I immediately refilled
the tub with clean warm water, agitated for about 10 minutes, then
completely drained again.  Again refilled, agitated for 10 minutes, and
drained again.  It took two rinse cycles to get most of the loosened dirt
down the drain.  I then filled with warm water, added two cups of soap
flakes, the restarted the 2-3 hour gentle agitation cycle for the next two
days.  After the third day I did the rinse process three times, then laid
the sail outside on top of a clean tarp, with the sail strung up as high as
I could between two nearby trees.

I found that the first 24 hours got rid of most of the dirt - something like
80-90% (as evidenced by the color of the used water).  Perhaps I could have
stopped after the first day, but I was more satisfied and confident in the
end result by making sure - using the two extra days - that I had done what
I could to get it out.

Although some maintenance/repair books mention the use of a light amount of
bleach, I did not use any.  That was in part due to my desire to let the
sail soak for whatever time was necessary for me to see a visual improvement
in the color of the sail - where bleach left involved too long on a sail
could have a weakening affect.  And most books seem to waffle as to how much
bleach would be safe to use, and still provide some whitening.  The other
reason I didn't use bleach is that bleach is not a cleaning agent.  It would
have nothing to help remove the dirt.

By the way, during the soaking process I also did try using a soft scrub
brush, but without any noticeable benefit.  My experience tells me that
embedded dirt needs to be softened and gently dislodged, and trying to scrub
a 250 sq. ft. sail - both sides, out on a lawn or driveway, was more an
exercise in frustration and futility than in productivity.

Hope this helps.