[Rhodes22-list] I JUST GOT A 1976 RHODES 22

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 26 05:54:43 EST 2004

Todd,

Is the ceiling of the main cabin a constant vertical distance from the main
cabin sole?  I've never measured it.

It would be nice if the boat could be shimmed/jacked up such that the cabin
sole would be level both longitudinally & transversely.  That way, one could
use simple tools like string levels & plumb bobs for this project.  I was
thinking the top bearing surface on the flange on the cabin roof where the
pop top sits could be used as a reference plane for this purpose.  This
bearing surface must be quite flat or the pop top would not seat properly in
the down position.  Once the boat was made level on both axes with respect
to this bearing surface , you would have another option as far as
establishing a reference grid iside the cabin.  With the cabin gutted out
like on Hank's boat, you could fill the cabin with water up to the desired
level.  Then, you would simply mark the water level on the inside of the
hull with a permanent ink marking pen.  Pump out the water & you'd be left
with reference points.

As far as the question of how to go about replacing stringers 3, 4, 5, & 6;
the short answer is make copies of the existing stringers.  With an existing
cabin sole, hopefully in not too bad shape, you already have the reference
plane defined.  You would definitely want to make some reference marks
around the cabin before you pulled up the cabin sole.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium