[Rhodes22-list] I JUST GOT A 1976 RHODES 22 - working level

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Nov 26 11:36:38 EST 2004

Roger Pihlaja wrote:
> It would be nice if the boat could be shimmed/jacked up such that the cabin
> sole would be level both longitudinally & transversely.  That way, one could
> use simple tools like string levels & plumb bobs for this project.  I was
> thinking the top bearing surface on the flange on the cabin roof where the
> pop top sits could be used as a reference plane for this purpose...

Roger, et al.

Confronted with a similar refurb project, I leveled the
boat using the cockpit seats as a reference, then
cross-checked using the water-line stripe.  They agreed
with less than one degree of arc.  I was then, as you
suggest, able to use a standard level on the interior
with confidence and good results.

As I am starting another like project this winter, I
have again leveled the boat on a work cradle, and plan
to borrow a laser level to make a set of complete
interior reference points.

/Bob Skinner