[Rhodes22-list] Modems and connect speed

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 07:47:59 EST 2004

Todd,
It's very possible your local phone company could be the culprit, or it
could simply be the wiring in your house. A call to the phone company and a  visit
from a technician would answer your question. A friend of mine had the  same
problem and the phone company's answer was that yes, it was their equipment
that was the problem, but they were providing a voice service and that was
working fine. He got a Direcway satellite dish and had the phone  disconnected.
The newer V92 modems might help with your problem, but then again it might
not. $11.49 would be a cheap investment if it would work. When I had dial-up, I
 was able to connect consistently at 53k. I've used this modem in all the
computers I've built over the past couple of years. Been very pleased compared
with the US Robotics.

Rummy