[Rhodes22-list] Modems and connect speed

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sun Nov 28 07:16:44 EST 2004

Todd, Slim, Rummy, and all others:

1.  When I go to Vermont, I am very rural.  For a long time my daughter said
what Todd says about rural connections.  My laptop connected at 53 a
substantial change from their 28 at best.  Here it just required a better
modem with current hi tech modem software.  At the time, she was using W98,
and I used XP.  They got a better modem and improved their end without
dealing with hard to deal with local phone company.  You know the kind of
company that puts batteries under houses to increase line voltage.

2.  I recommend you try Rummy's suggestion.  You can use your credit card
for an internet order and have a new modem by the end of the week.

3.  At the same time you might try the suggestion of evaluating for DSL.
However, when the phone company evaluated my 'in city' line for DSL they
said fine.  When I originally got DSL, the provider determined that my phone
lines were just marginally ok for DSL.  It turns out that living in the
city, the phone company has not upgraded lines or service for eons and are
not going to change any time soon.  All the big money is in the new areas,
suburbs.

4.	Result is cable modem, which has proven to be very good.  I still
have dialup backup and have had to use it several times.  Charter cable has
gradually improved service, but is not as reliable in this area as the
prehistoric phone lines.  You can be spoiled with megabyte service.  It is
fast.  See attachment.  If I upgraded my computer to one like Rummy's, I
probably would see more improvement.  Rummy, what computer is that again?
When they do infrared satellite images they can tell where Rummy lives with
all his RF output.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA