[Rhodes22-list] Help re Dinghy

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Sun Nov 28 14:55:11 EST 2004

Hi Doug,
It kind of depends on how you think you'll use it. We didn't really need
one so we went as light and cheap as possible - a plastic Sevylor 3 person
Super Caravelle "pool toy". Weighs 13 lbs. Has a capacity of 600 lbs.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to set up or stow and stows in a rubbermaid
container under the seats (18" x 24" x 13" high). It's been very reliable
though we are very careful about keeping the bottom away from sharp
objects. We upgraded the oars a couple of years ago but the boat itself is
now in its 5th season.  It rows OK but we are thinking of naming it "Comic
Relief". Something with slats might row a bit better but I'm not sure if
any inflateable really rows well. I would not tow it any distance at all.
If it was essential to our cruising instead of just a toy, we'd spring for
a heavier duty model but at $69 a "pop" we figure we're ahead if we buy one
a year for 10 years. As it is we've had it 5 years.

Mary Lou