[Rhodes22-list] Help re Dinghy

Stephen Staum staum at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 29 06:53:50 EST 2004

I have a 10' Port-A-Bote and I love it (the 8' model would be fine for 1 or
2 people & easier to store/handle).  It is a folding rowboat.  For storage,
I tie it alonside the starboard stanchions with the seats stowed under the
port cockpit seats for balance.  The only downside is that I have to stow
the hull in the cabin in higher winds to cut down on excessive windage.  I
met a sailor this summer who does not disassemble his (a 15 minute job) all
season but trails it behind his boat.

Advantages to the Port-A-Bote:

Rows much better than an inflatable.
It has built in flotation and will not sink.
Hull is guaranteed for 10 years and is maintenance free.
Hull is flexible and absorbs wave impact when motoring for a smoother ride.

I mostly row mine, but I have tried it with the 4 HP 2 stroke outboard from
my Rhodes and it motors very nicely, even gets on the step with just me on
board.
If buying new be sure to get the "Show Special" pricing (about $500 off) and
it includes free shipping.  They even offer a sail package!  My wife
wouldn't go for it, too bad.  It probably doesn't sail real well anyway but
it would be less tedious than rowing.

Check out their website:  http://www.porta-bote.com/

Stephen Staum
"Carol Lee"