[Rhodes22-list] Beaufort trailer problems

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Nov 30 08:24:43 EST 2004

Bob,
	If your vehicle towed the boat and backed the boat into the water
then got it out again, I think your vehicle is adequate.  Unless you are
looking for an excuse for a new vehicle, I cannot see this incident as the
reason to get a new one.  If you do decide to sell, how much do you want for
it?  It sounds like exactly what I am looking for.  Does Rummy's truck have
a V-10?
	Rummy always uses the extension.  In the past, unless I had a
shallow ramp, I did not use it.  I just put on a bathing suit and water
sneakers and backed into the water.  It is just faster.  The brakes can get
wet so you have to remember that.
	How to solve your problem?  Stan and Elton have hitches on the front
of all their vehicles.  They seem to have the hitch much higher.  Does your
present hitch have a removable receiver?  Is your receiver the kind with a
bend?  Is the bend on the bottom?  Get another receiver for launching and
recovery with a bend and have the bend facing upward.  Mount the ball on the
top and you raise your angle of connection significantly.
	If I could draw as good as Todd, I would have included pictures.  I
still do not have a working drawing program so I cannot even attempt right
now.
	Consider those jacking or hiking shocks on the rear of your vehicle.
You know the fun things that they use to rake the cars for dragging.  I
believe that they used to have some that work raised using air.  Where is
Rik on the subject?
	All the rest you could have managed to do with any vehicle.  Maybe
you just need more practice.  Volunteer to tow the Seaward for Elton to take
to Chicago next year.  It seems with all his expertise he managed some
problems this past year.

Ed K