[Rhodes22-list] Beaufort trailer problems

Bob Keller r22yankeeclipper at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:56:46 EST 2004

Ed,
I agree with you on the tow vehicle, I wanted to mention what Rummy has told
me.  What he really said is that the wheelbase on my 4Runner is not long
enough (105") and that is the reason that the back of the vehicle is pushed
down due to the tongue weight.  He might have a point there because when his
vehicle towed my boat, his vehicle remained level.  Yes, I do have my hitch
in the highest position possible (I turned it over so it is angled up, not
down).  Stan mentioned that the newer trailers use stronger materials for
the tongue and do not flex as much.  So, I could get the tongue replaced
with stronger material.

As for practice, I have towed my boat probably 9-10 times in the last 3
years.  I have come to the conclusion that the single axle trailers force me
to overload the tongue weight (I have experimented endlessly with
positioning the boat fore and aft on the trailer) to prevent fishtailing.  I
think the best solution (and most expensive) is to get a dual axle trailer
where I will not have to overload tongue weight, but will still be able to
trailer long distances on the highway at 65 mph.  Or, I could just spend
more $ on this old trailer and learn from my "experiences."  Still deciding.

Of course, if I had just stopped at the top of the ramp and put the trailer
tongue back in at that point, there would not be any of these trailer
strories to talk about!
Bob K