[Rhodes22-list] Bob's trailer problems

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Nov 30 12:17:46 EST 2004

Bob,
	My van is a short bed, 108".  Not that much difference and I do not
have a sagging rear end.  Furthermore, I usually keep several sand bags
under the back seat.  It must be a suspension thing.  There are many ways to
upgrade the rear suspension, and it is a lot cheaper than a new vehicle.
Unless you get a big machine like Michael's you may still have to upgrade
the rear suspension.
	I have a new galvanized single axle trailer.  I thought about a dual
axle, but they have their issues.  I would not assume that dual axle will be
better.  Keep in mind the extension on the trailer is the immediate problem,
not the whole thing.  How much weight are you keeping in your lazerette?
Are you dealing with a weight distribution problem?  Since I can move my
motor myself, I have gotten to the point of moving it to the bow stopper for
long trips.
	I also double dip the boat to get it more forward.  What I mean is
that after I tighten up the winch, I go up the ramp a little bit to put
tension on the winch line which usually results in the boat moving back 6 or
8 inches.  Then I put in back in the water and take some of that distance
out.
	Another thought would be to have your trailer wheels aligned and
balanced.  If your trailer with boat on it level, does the ball come
reasonably level or do you have to drop the trailer a lot to hook up.  You
may need a trailer hitch that does not cause the boat trailer to point down.

	While your vehicle is rated #5000, it may not be matched to the
suspension that came with it for actually doing the job in the best way.  It
used to be common place to upgrade rear suspensions for towing.  With the
old leaf systems they added leafs.
	I have casually been looking to replace my old van, just because of
its age.  I do not want a pick up truck.  They no longer make vans like
mine.  I would have to go with a full size and for me that is just too big.
However, a big passenger van might work well for you.

Ed K