[Rhodes22-list] Beaufort trailer problems

jbconnolly at comcast.net jbconnolly at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 14:55:56 EST 2004

Bob,

I tow about 2x per year for the last two years with a Blazer (wheelbase about 107" 190 HP 4.3L V-6, 4WD) and have not had this problem.  My trailer is a 2003 single-axle galvanized Triad.

The ramp I generally use is very good (built for Navy/Coast Guard patrol seaplanes), and this helps.  http://www.salemweb.com/winterisland/
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/newengland/features/AS_Salem6Nov.htm

For highway-speed trailering, I invested in a load leveling/sway control system, rather than a 2-axle trailer.  If it's just me in the tow vehicle, I find that I don't really *need* it for leveling, but I bought it so I could load up the truck and take the boat, wife, kids and a truckload of stuff on vacation.  Filling the 4 seats and cargo area (to the top) at least comes close to exceeding the GVWR for the truck, so it's a bit if peace of mind.  I have not noticed a problem with sway, even with the single axle and no sway control.

The problem is that it (and all the others I saw) mounts to the trailer frame rather than the extension tongue, so does not level with the tongue extended and wouldn't help on the ramp.

The one I bought was http://www.equalizerhitch.com/home.html The ball height is adjustable.

The only time I scraped the tongue, it was on the way *into* the water on a gravel ramp.  I found a better ramp.

A quick google suggested that air bag system or load leveling air shocks are widely available.  Some systems are automatic.  I can't say too much about them, the last time I used them was about 20 years ago on a '65 GTO.  I wasn't trailering.

Good luck

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03