[Rhodes22-list] Leaking! Lou there are many things else to look for

ed kroposki ekroposki at charter.net
Sat Oct 2 16:16:47 EDT 2004

Lou,

	The water on the floor can be coming from many sources.  With the
age of your boat, you will have to search and probably repair more than one
thing.  Any of the fittings on the deck may be leaking and need to be
reseated.  The Centerboard drain may be stopped up.  Is the little ball on
the line stopping the drain?  Loosen the wood step and check the tubing for
that drain.  See if it has any cracks. The water may be seeping around the
port lights that you talked about replacing.
	In the past, Mr. Rummy has suggested a way to help find out where
water is coming from.  Get inside with a good flashlight and have someone
hose down the boat.  Check all fittings with them hosing.  Pay special
attention to the edges/lips of cockpit liner to see if it is getting over
the edge.  To do that you have to be lying on your back on the floor while
someone hoses the cockpit.
	Do you have cockpit seat drains?  Are they clean?  Do you have any
drain holes on the forward part of the seats?  Roger has a fix for that
problem.
	Someone found that water was getting in because the rub rail screws
were leaking.  If the floor is damp, do you have water in the bilge?
	This is not a case of using a camera, but a water hose.  And you
will need a hoser, while you are inside.

Ed K