[Rhodes22-list] Politics - chiaroscuro

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 10:14:27 EDT 2004

Dear G,

Please give me a link to your Fouad Ajami reference if
you have it.  I have read his article in the Jan/Feb
2003 Foreign Affairs magazine and a few others but
nothing recent.

We agree on this, the ultimate fate of Iraq belongs to
the Iraq's.  Regardless of how one feels about the
justifications for the current occupation of Iraq, we
are there and to pull out now or announce a date
specific pull out would only encourage the insurgents
to wait us out, just as in Vietnam.  There is no
shortage of current literature critical of the
occupation including a lengthy article by James
Fallows in this months Atlantic Monthly.  In fact, if
you read the transcript of Kerry's Iraq positions
during the debate, you will notice Kerry neatly
mirrows Fallows, which more than one blogger in
cyberspace has noticed as well.

So, our choice is between one leader who doggedly
remains on course,  versus another who follows the
latest read of yesterdays "game tape"  I personally
would feel more confident of a critic if he had made
an impassioned plea against the war in advance.

Kerry won the debate on style, expected when you
consider his 20 years of practice in the debate
society we call the Senate.  For those opposed to our
current engagement it is indeed unfortunate that this
style and passion was missing in the Fall of 2002.

We ARE all wearing the blue dress now, though I prefer
that it be a red one on November 2.

Brad Haslett

http://pt.withy.org/ptalk/archives/thought_for_the_day/