[Rhodes22-list] Sailing report - Red Rover

Doug Mistler mistler at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 4 15:18:44 EDT 2004

Hi, Rhodies!

Sunday we finally had substantial winds for a change on a day
when I could go out and sail.  This was Red Rover's first outing
other than in light winds.  Winds were generally 10-15 kts,
periods of 18 kts (measured with a wind meter), and a few higher
gusts. with 1-2 foot waves.

I singlehanded from Herring Bay at Deale, Md across the
Chesapeake Bay to Poplar Island and back. Returning, the winds
abated to a less demanding and pleasant 10 kts, but made for a
long day.  The Rhodes was dry, very stable, and I was quite
pleased with the boat's ability to sail unattended once I
learned how to correctly balance the genoa and main.

I also learned to start out with less sail and add more later
once I am sure of the winds, rather than the other way around.
Too much initial sail kept this novice a little busy <grin>.

The amount of debris in the water surprised me.  I encountered
large tree branches and even an entire helmsman's seat from a
large power boat like a trawler!  Not a great problem for a
slow-moving sail boat, but a fast power boat could have had prop
damage, if not worse.  I guess that most of it has come from up
the rivers due to our recent heavy rains.

Fair winds!
--Doug
"Red Rover"