[Rhodes22-list]Raz's Motor

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Tue Oct 5 00:41:50 EDT 2004

Guess I have to step in and say my piece on motors. My own experience only
- no recommendations. We have a '98 Honda 8. I can start it. For Fred, who
has longer arms, stronger muscles and better technique, it starts on the
first or second pull. For me it's usually the 3rd or 4th. (yeah, I throw
like a girl, too ;-) It runs reliably. We have it serviced once a year at
the dealer (Hilton Marine in Newark Delaware) whether it needs it or not.
It's a lot of weight on the stern but I think it's lighter than the newer
Hondas by 10 or 15 lbs.  We motor through cuts like the Kent Narrows bridge
into strong currents and appreciate the power. Its best feature beyond
reliability is that it is very quiet. I know some of you hate to motor but
we would rather motor than stay home when there is no wind. We often go
someplace on a windy day and then have to motor home in the flat calm on
the next. We took this to extremes on our recent 9 day cruise motoring 60
miles in two days with the wind on the nose. We could have sailed but then
they would have been 20 hour days instead of 6 hour days and we did have to
get home. They were very pleasant days.

These are some things we kept in mind when choosing a motor for the
Chesapeake. Just because there's a great wind now, there may not be a great
wind or any wind at all later. There are some places with very strong
currents. There are very big, fast moving ships and barges.  You do not
want to be becalmed with a hard-to start motor in the path of one of these.
There are really fierce t'storms that can come up suddenly. We didn't want
the weight came with electric start.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA