[Rhodes22-list] GPS Map 76 battery issue

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 13:58:51 EDT 2004

Hello Bob and all,

I may be coming in a little late on this, but here's my experience-  I went
through two Group 27 batteries on the Starwind 19 is less than 2 years until
someone told me about the Battery Minder
http://www.batterymart.com/batteryminder.php  This product, costing less
than a good deep cycle battery, has kept one group 27 deep cycle battery and
one group 31 deepcycle battery, both hooked up in parallel, in tip-top shape
for over a year.  It removes and reduces sulfurization (sp?) on the lead
plates - the leading cause of dead batteries.  Evidently, the kind of use
that deep cycle batteries get in sailboats sailed intermittently is really
hard on them. The downside is that the battery must be hooked up to the unit
when not in use.

PT