[Rhodes22-list] More Lacking Etiquette

Michael Meltzer mjm at michaelmeltzer.com
Wed Oct 13 22:06:13 EDT 2004

The way I heard it: you use your own anchor rode, what way you get the
work of putting back together and it the difference between giving a tow
and providing the equipment to give a tow(higher salvage claim), A
yatchman should never claim salvage for a tow(that etiquette), but the
commercial (sea tow, boat us, fisherman sometimes, etc.. will charge)
and you are best off agreeing to a price before hand otherwise is is a
salvage claim. All this is tempered by conditions and distance. 20
minutes to a dock on a sunny day vs 20 miles offshore in a storm, hard
grounding all bets are off(i.e salvage), same goes for taking on water.
BTW beware of power boats giving a tow, they go to fast sometimes.

My favorite: the captain is respectable for everything on the boat. no
one else. i.e. the helmsman hits a buoy in broad daylight, 5000$ of
damage the captain pays, the captain was sleeping in the cabin, still
his fault, try to blame the crew or anyone else, wrong still his faults,
tries to give the bill to anyone, big time wrong, the boat is holed by
the bouy(salvage that the captain pays), boat is a totaled loose, the
captain lost. Bad charts, his fault, part breaks, still his fault. crew
does not follow orders, his fault. Boat yard screewed up, still the
captin. Get hit by another boat, even following the rules(i.e standon),
still will be blamed for "poor seamanship". Something happen
dock/anchor/mooring while the captin is 100 miles away, still his fault,
should have been "maned". No water on board, salvage.

It ok to jump on another boat at the dock to fend off and save it from a
"docking challenged captain".

If something break, is damaged, tell the captin, do not "hide" it. If
someone causes damage to your boat, let is slide or file with your
insurance(the Jay Paul Getty thing). get sick, spill something, overflow
the head, clean it up.

MJM