[Rhodes22-list] More Lacking Etiquette

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Wed Oct 13 16:18:03 EDT 2004

Just yesterday afternoon we were out on the Mississippi River going upstream
and into the bright, low sun.  I could barely see what was ahead when I
realized there was a giant barge coming downstream right at me.  Although I
was still quite a ways from him--no immediate danger, I turned sharply
towards the shore to give him as wide a path as I could. Duh! As we passed,
the pilot of the tug boat, Minneapolis, stepped out on deck and put his
hands together like praying and gave me a nice, deep bow to say, "Thanks for
not making me worry about you."  Or maybe he was saying, "I'll pray for your
wretched soul driving into that sun."  8-)  He surely had the right of way,
but it was nice of him to acknowledge little old me in my fishing boat.

I'm also very impressed when big cruisers not only slow down to no-wake
speed to pass me, but turn around and look to make sure their wake didn't
hit me too hard.  I always give them a hearty wave and a thumbs up.
Unfortunately, many others know they should slow down to pass, but they only
slow to half throttle and maximize their wake and almost flip me.  For
those, is it bad etiquette of me to show them a different finger?

Slim