[Rhodes22-list] Airshow film

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 11:25:34 EDT 2004

Bob,

That's the one.  It started out as rain, then freezing
rain, then snow with about 30 knot winds.  The State
Police advised everyone not to go to work and if you
did, only call them if there's a fatality or serious
injury.  We didn't get the word.  It took two hours to
get from the North Side of Lambert to our hotel on the
South side.  Like all good "war stories" whether about
sailing or flying there is a "stupidity" factor
involved if you dig deep enough. I called the braking
action NIL which shut the airport down for about an
hour but they re-opened it for TWA's morning bank of
flights.  The TWA boys were saying things like, "poor
at best", "less than poor", anything but NIL.  When
two slid off in the dirt the dreaded "N" word came
out.

When I worked as an apprentice mechanic during high
school, one of the local cropdusters would abuse
locals at the airport who didn't know his trick.
Every Spring they would fill the hoppers with water
and fly up and down the runway several times
calibrating the spray booms.  If anyone was standing
in the open they would bomb them with any remaining
water via the emergency dump valve.  A hundred gallons
of water moving at a hundred MPH would probably kill
you.  They never scored a direct hit but they sure
scared a lot of folks.  I always stayed in the hangar
until they were done.

A lot of things have changed.  You'd go to jail for
some of those old stunts now.

Brad

http://lifeevents.msn.com/category.aspx?cid=Retirement