[Rhodes22-list] Storm sails reference by Bob - more on solents

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Oct 20 19:56:04 EDT 2004

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
> Maybe my boat is different from all the
> others, but when I furl the genny, I
> don't have the problem with terrible sail
> shape...

Thanks for the reply, and glad to hear that,
Rummy.  Sounds like you have a good 'un.

That will help reduce the wind load in weather,
but still leaves the center of effort higher
than you might find with a storm jib - unless
the genny is cut in an unusual shape.

Your call there.  As the general advice about
storm sails is to fly them somewhat clear of
the deck to avoid waves breaking over the bow,
your setup may work out quite well.

I have no experience with the GB furler, but my
CDI flexible furler foil will torque (but not
collapse) in high winds.  The furlers with
rigid/tubular foils may (I say again, "May")
fail catastrophically rather than just twisting
up, hence my concern and related note.

Certainly, no criticism was intended.

/Bob Skinner