[Rhodes22-list] Politics - more fuel for the fire

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 22 10:12:06 EDT 2004

Stan,

Fortunately for all, today's flying doesn't permit any
lengthy discussion so I'll pick on you primarily and
the others briefly.

Inflation -  The CPI is rising and in some ways this
is good.  We have survived an economic "perfect
storm", an overdue downturn in the business cycle, the
DotCom bust, and 9/11.  Inflation is normal in a
recovery.  Steel and cement is up because of the
incredible demand from China (oil too but we'll get to
that later), housing and materials are up because of
the strong real estate market spurred by record low
interest rates, and oil is on one of its irrational
swings which is the norm for that commodity.  Now for
your business, I think you will see a continued
increase in prices for boat related items.  A boat
owner friend of mine from Florida told me yesterday
his insurer has over 2000 boats missing from the
hurricanes.  The number of damaged boats is much
greater than that!  This could be a very good period
for boat builders and repair centers.  Inflation could
be your friend!

It pains me to think of you and Rose working
yourselves to a frazzle "getting out the vote".  What
ever happened to the "good old days" where folks like
Lyndon Johnson and Mayor Dailey just got dead people
to vote early and vote often?  Seems a lot simpler to
me.

To those of you who refer to newspaper headlines to
make your point;  on the way to Memphis this morning I
read to my crew a front page article in the USA Today
on the Missouri commuter airline crash on Tuesday.
We had some good belly laughs over how silly and
erroneous most of the article was.  If you rely only
on what you read in the papers, you'll be sadly
misinformed.

Jim White - I agree with everything you said but I
have a question.  You wrote, "And they're registering
lots of people who seldom or never vote too. Gettin
'em out for this critical national erection.
Was that a typo, a really good pun, or are you
Chinese?
If there's going to be a national erection on Nov. 2 I
may want to run for office.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20041108&s=facts