[Rhodes22-list]David and Rose

anima13 anima13 at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 26 07:31:15 EDT 2004

Rose,
 Ed was right. I was racing all weekend.
We had our 50 miler fall race and naturally, it
poured ALL day. Beating up wind in a light boat is
alot of work for soaked folks. One of our crew bailed
so we were lucky enough to get a wonderful young
sailor, Kit, 13 yo. Her folks have a big 40 ft cruising
boat. She wants to race so she held tough with us and never
complained once. I can tell you that we adults cried a few!!
We were pleased to give Kit the trophy, 3rd place only. The 35 and
36 footers beat us, for they can handle those waves better.
We lost our spinnaker halyard. A 35 foot Hughes went aground while
I watched! A 19 foot mariner took first in the Jam B fleet and he
went aground twice! (the dam lets the water down quite far and we go
far down the river where it does tend to be shallow. Then the bays
and creeks make silt 'dams' out in the middle of the lake! We saw
3.9 ft on our depth guage!!
Thank goodness it was not cold as well!
We have many out of towners who come here to Kentucky
Lake for these long distance races, so it was "old Home
week" with much eating and drinking and very tall stories!
I am race chairman so had to get the stuff set up, etc.
At this time I am hosting a couple who have sold everything and are prepping
their boat for cruising permanently. They are sleeping here while their boat
is on the hard.
Did I mention that I work?

Rose,
Where do you live? I sail on my Rhodes all winter because we get enough
cycles of decent weather to do so tolerably. I do my bottom work in
September.
You should come and have a big ride. I have plenty of room for company.
Our marina is sailboats only and our lake is huge. This means that folks
from
4 hours away have large boats (27-46ft is usual). The waiting list for slips
is very long. While I have never really considered a different boat, I would
never want to have to move out of this marina. The Rhodes works for me.
I sail by myself 60% of the time. Most of my friends have their own boats so
are working on them or are going to meet me in a cove. I have a wild
schedule and
if I want to go sailing, it is so little prep work, that I sail MUCH more
often
that most. The couple who are staying with me do not know me really well,
for they
have been on a different pier. However, they said that they always felt that
I knew
more what I was doing than most the guys with large boats. (really?)
I sailed with my dad a bit then raced in the 80s on J-24's. When I bought my
Rhodes
I have not been on a sailboat for over 12 years. I took the ASA course here
on the
KY lake to brush off the cobwebs. Plus, I had never steered! You know how
that goes!
I rehearsed backing out of my slip over and over in my mind for weeks before
the
boat was delievered by Stan and Elton. I got in and out very nicely (thank
you very much)
from day 1. The sailing things come with a lesson from one mistake or the
other. I
will often forget some detail I prefer to have done before I let the sails
out when I
am alone. However, nothing is impossible on this boat. YOu will have a great
time.
Anne
KY Lake