[Rhodes22-list] Potential 'Rowdy'

Razgaitis Richard raz01 at mac.com
Wed Oct 27 17:29:07 EDT 2004

Mary Lou's comments echo mine.  We're raised 5 kids.  Our sailing
experience started with a Chrysler 15 (daysailing only of course) and
included a Tartan 27 where all 7 of us would spend a week on the boat
even at a mooring, and later went 'half-sies' with my son on a Cal 27,
and since with kids and grandkids on a Mud Hen 17 and Rhodes 22.  If
you are going to have a whole family bonding experience for week long
cruising I just don't think you'll be satisfied long term with the
Rhodes 22.  It is of course possible, but then people have rounded the
Horn in bathtubs, so to speak.  (And actually the first owner of my
Tartan 27 was Robert Manry who became famous for sailing Tinkerbelle a
semi-homebuilt 13 foot sailboat from Falmouth Mass to Falmouth UK in
the summer of 1995 (and it took all summer) and published "Tinkerbelle"
about the experience).

We found the 27' size to be just adequate for our family of 7
situation, and still very manageable in terms of handling and dock
expense.  Also it is amazing how cheaply one can buy a very nice 27'
sailboat these days.  It won't have all those Stan-clever features, and
being a substantial keel boat won't have that sportscar like
responsiveness (unless the wind is really blowing) but you really can
sleep 4 very comfortably below with room for the head and galley and
still a place to stand.

Having said all that, if you are going to spend most of your time
daysailing, the Rhodes 22 cockpit is probably larger and more
comfortable than just about any 27' sailboat out there, and every time
you wonder how you're going to do something you'll discover that Stan
already thought of it and there it is right in front of you.

(We too keep our sailboat by Rock Hall--but it is being hauled out this
Sat).

raz
s/v Rocky Rhodes