[Rhodes22-list] JW in college

Rik Sandberg sanderico at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 29 19:57:14 EDT 2004

JW,

In an earlier reply to the list you wrote:

"Flunked out after almost 2 years. But, got an "A" in fly fishing
addiction. Drifted back to Texas. Several degrees and lots of years
later, here I am"

That statement raises my curiousity. Do you have a theory as to why you
couldn't get anywhere at the U of O, but were obviously able to do quite
well at other schools? I wonder about things like this a bit. I was a
terrible math student from the 5th grade on. I like to blame my fifth
grade teacher, Mr Peterson, who I absolutely couldn't seem to get along
with to save my life. But, now that I am out of school, I seem to enjoy,
at least simple math. I am now able, for instance, to figure
transmission/rearend ratios vs tire size and tell you what the ground
speed of a vehicle will be in a particular gear. Hardly basic addition
and subtraction. Never was able to get a handle on algebra though. It
seems that "sideways" math doesn't work for me, has to be up and down.
Don't ask me why the difference.

I just find it interesting that I am able to figure these things out on
my own, but through this particular teacher, I failed at it miserably
and was never able to get a good grasp on the subject for the rest of my
days in school.

Just curious, if you don't mind.
Rik