[Rhodes22-list] Politics background

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Sep 3 16:51:57 EDT 2004

I don't know of anyone that died in 9/11 either. However, about a year
after it occurred, I did some computer work for the NYPD as a
contractor. The NYPD has a union agreement that only half of the
technical jobs can be filled by civilians (this is the way I understood
it anyway). One of the IT guys I worked with is a uniformed policeman,
but not working a beat, working in IT instead.

He related to me why he requested a transfer. On 9/11 he was sick, and
called in. Didn't show for work. His partner was in the subway, and was
blown against a rail by air pressure. The explosion didn't kill him, it
was getting knocked into the rail that did it. My temporary co-worker
decided he needed a break, so he transferred.

You know, I remembered the horror and anger I felt when the attacks took
place. I had stood at "ground-zero" a year later, and felt it again, but
in a different way. That also brought on other feelings - wonder and awe
and what we as Americans can do together when we want to, amazement that
anyone would consider what was done that day to be a "good thing."

By the time I finished visiting ground-zero, I thought I'd pretty much
run the gamut of emotions from 9/11. However, when I was told about the
policeman that died, by his partner who was standing with me working,
wipeing tears away from his eyes as he told it, I had a different
perspective. I don't think I can even describe how it made me feel, but
it was definitely different than any of the emotions I went through.

I think in the horror of all of this, we forget that these were real
people, with real friends and families. We also forget theat the
variations of emotions and reactions are probably as wide as the
variations of the inviduals involved.

>>> ekroposki at charter.net 09/03/04 8:18 AM >>>
	For anyone who took the time to read Keith's retort, I would
like to
provide some background.  I have met and sailed with Keith.  He is an
o.k.
guy.  He does not spit fire needlessly.
	I cannot say that I knew anyone who died on 9-11, but deep down,
suspect that is only because I have not looked.  I have a cousin, who is
quite close to me, who was stepping out of the lobby of one of the
towers
when the first plane hit.  He went back into the lobby and went
underground
to walk toward Hudson river.  He arrived home in northern New Jersey
about
9:30 pm when he let us know that he was ok.
	Islamic terrorist also known as Islamist want to kill anyone and
everyone who does not believe as they do.  It is plane and simple, so
understand that.  In their mind set there is no room for negotiation.
There
is no other acceptable opinion, belief or religion.
	Please read:  Muhammad - Prophet of Doom by Craig Winn if you
can.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA