[Rhodes22-list] Mary Lou's Lee helm

David Walker david.walker5 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 20:06:39 EDT 2004

Mary Lou,

There are probably many ways to balance a Rhodes.  At around 15 knots I find
that combination of about 120% genoa and the IMF reefed to just exposing a
sliver of the R22 emblem balances the boat very well with respect to helm
and heeling, especially singled handed.  I was out yesterday in this
condition and handily beat a Catalina 22 under its full sail with 4 crew.
They were having trouble keeping the boat on its lines with the sails
properly trimmed.  In general, I find that less sail, properly trimmed is
better than more sailed trimmed to spill wind.

 My Rhodes also seems to sail better with more forward sail area than aft.
I most assuredly looks funny that way, but the helm is neutral as long as
the heel is moderate.

Dave W