[Rhodes22-list] What do you do with monsters?

Ben Schultz BenS at ApproSystems.com
Tue Sep 7 11:53:57 EDT 2004

Well put, Roger.  I appreciate the thoughtful argument without flames.

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Roger Pihlaja
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 10:23 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 mail list
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] What do you do with monsters?

Gentlemen,

After a great deal of thought, I've decided I'm going to vote for
Kerry/Edwards in November.  Let me explain why.

1st of all, there is absolutely no doubt that Iraq had WMD.  By that I mean
stockpiles of chemical & biological weapons, the means to produce them,
systems to deliver them, & a well-developed nuclear weapons program, if not
actual nukes.  Saddam Hussein acted like he had something to hide, had a
well-documented history of using WMD against Iran and his own people, and
had a fanatically loyal organization in place which would use these WMD if
ordered.  Now, several thousand liters of the most toxic stuff known to man
does not just disappear.  Yet, published reconnaissance data does not show
any sort of incineration facility in Iraq (Big Footprint - Hard To Hide).
There are no records of the disposal operation.  There are no witnesses to
the disposal operation, which had to require many months, if not years to
accomplish.  Yet, we haven't been able to find significant quantities of WMD
in Iraq.

So, which is the more reasonable conclusion?  The entire world intelligence
community was wrong about Iraq's WMD program for over 10 years.  Or, the
WMD's were either hidden somewhere in the vast deserts of Iraq &/or smuggled
over the relatively porous borders during the wartime chaos into places like
Syria, Lebanon, and Afghanistan?  I believe the WMD's are either in some
relatively insecure, unguarded hiding place or are already in the hands of
terrorists.  If I lived in Israel, I would be very very nervous.  Mark my
words, we have not seen the last of Iraq's WMD's.

Why haven't we already seen these WMD's used?  Well, of course it's hard to
get into the head of someone like Osoma Bin Laden or Yassir Arafat.  But, I
would speculate these terrorist organizations do not want to tip their hands
that they have WMD's until the US & British forces in the Middle East are
drawn down.  After all, the US & British militaries are the best equipped to
detect and function in a biochemical hazard scenario.  Plus, the Bush
administration would not hesitate to invade whatever Middle Eastern country
played the WMD card with the forces currently in place in the Middle East.

So why Kerry over Bush?  Well, I believe the nature of the game has changed
in a way that Bush cannot cope with, given his bullish style and apparent
lack of diplomatic skill.  Bush did the world a tremendous service in
invading Afghanistan and Iraq.  There was a fair chance to capture & secure
the WMD's and the world is vastly better off without the Taliban and the
Hussein regimes.  But, apparently the gamble did not pay off and the WMD's
got away.  Bush has used up all of his & the USA's political capital and the
world's good will towards the USA to accomplish what's been done to date.
But, the terrorist cancer has metacized and moved on to other countries.
The only way to deal with the threat now is with much more help and
cooperation from the rest of the world.  This can't happen with Bush in the
white house.  With a change of administration, other countries can
gracefully save face & join in the hunt for the terrorists and WMD's.
Please note, this is not a slam against Bush.  I think he did a hard nasty
job that needed doing and the world owes him a tremendous dept of gratitude
for his moral courage.  It was a worthwhile gamble that did not completely
work out according to plan.  But, we live in a dangerous, scary period of
history and it's time to move on to a workable strategy.

Plus, I think the Bush administration is just completely wrong headed
regarding the management of the US economy.  They don't seem to even
understand the issues, much less have workable solutions to propose.
Kerry/Edwards at least seem to understand the problems.  Whether their
solutions will ever be implemented or work, given continued Republican
control of congress is another matter.

That's why I'm voting for Kerry/Edwards in November.

Now, can we please back down on the nasty political retoric?  I perceive
Bush & Kerry to be a couple of the finest Americans alive today.  The issues
in this election are far too important and the stakes are much too high to
have the election decided by petty arguing.  Keep your eye on the ball
people!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium