[Rhodes22-list] Ivan's impact close to home.

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Thu Sep 9 13:12:29 EDT 2004

I was a bit concerned about Ivan because my sister keeps her "home" and
business in Trinidad this time of year (a 57' Bowman ketch)  I just found
out she had the boat on the hard in Granada instead.  She survived but her
50,000 pound boat was picked off its jack stands and ended up 100 feet from
where it started without any assistance from water, just wind.  It looks
like it is a total loss.  She was in a concrete building in a valley in the
mountains and is ok but the reports of 20 deed are much too low.  She is
currently on one of her crewmember's boat that survived the storm.  There
were at least 40 sailboats in the main harbor and Prickly Bay and only 3
survived.  Some are visible awash and ashore but most have just disappeared.
Many of them with liveaboards who stayed aboard during the storm.  She also
said they are a lot of bodies floating in the harbor.  They tried to salvage
food and water from her boat to transfer to her crewmember's boat but did
not get much because of the frequent and prolonged gunfire close by.  I
can't get in touch with her for the near future but tough as she is, I do
worry.  Thank goodness we have the systems here to help our citizens if this
terrible storm strikes the U.S. of poor Florida (again).
Chris G
Medford, OR