[Rhodes22-list] Re: Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 527, Issue 3

Loumoore at aol.com Loumoore at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 17:42:03 EDT 2004

Ok I can't resist replying:

1. In terms of firepower, it's hard to imagine the United States hitting
Vietnam much harder.  More bombs were dropped there than the combined total used
against Germany and Japan during World War II.  At maximum strength, the United
States had over 550,000 troops in place--virtually the entire strength of our
army, excluding cold war commitments in Europe.  I guess if you consider
"winning" to be the total destruction of a country the United States could have
prevailed by using nuclear weapons but this would have destroyed the nation we
were fighting to liberate.  In short, the issue is vastly more complicated than
some suggest. The war was not lost because "liberals" refused to let the
military unleash American power.  Neither Democrat Johnson nor and Republican
Nixon were able achieve success.

2. War Records: Who has the moral high ground?  Kerry, who fought for his
country, witnessed first hand the costs and futility of the Vietnam War, and
spoke out against the war or Bush and company who supported the war but determined
it was better to sit it out?

3. The issues: Bush's terrible judgment has placed American forces in a
terrible position in Iraq; there is an enough muscle there to keep the insurgency
growing but not enough to end it.  The prewar critics were incredibly accurate
in their predictions.  (It's not just retread hippies blasting Bush; so are
respected officers from all branches of service.)  Vast segments of Iraq are
totally out of control.  It is likely that it will split into at least three
countries and that as one of these countries will be another Islamic Republic with
extreme anti-American sentiment--in short, another breeding ground for
terror.  Thus far Kerry has been remarkably restrained in his criticism of Bush's
terrible judgment and leadership on Iraq. Like most responsible senators, he
supported the commander in chief when asked for support in winder 2003.  That
does not absolve Bush of responsibility for this fiasco.

4. Fighting two wars on three tax cuts is reprehensible  His inaction to the
loss of jobs, his indifference in regard to the misery of those without health
insurance (many of them children), and his assault on environmental policy
dating from the Nixon administration reveal he is morally and politically
bankrupt. Bush's legacy will be a mountain of debt, a weakened economy, and a failed
foreign policy that has increased, not lessened the risks we face.

John Kerry is a first-rate alternative to a failed, selfish, and arrogant
administration.  Stan is right.