[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Sep 11 20:29:10 EDT 2004

I am a charter member of the Tohatsu (marketed by Nissan) club, and am looking at a 4-stroke to replace my 2 stroke some day.  I would always choose one with an electric start because they also put out enough power when the engine is running to top off your battery, and provide electricity for lights in emergencies.

You can start them with the cord, so it's like having a small emergency generator on board.

I don't think the 6hp comes with an electric start which is the only reason I would not select it.  I'd probably take the 8, although I'd love to know from the list if there are any real advantages to the 9.8 which is essentially the same engine.  It seems to me you can only push a 22 ft. displacement boat through the water so fast, no matter how big the engine.  But maybe I'm missing something here.

BTW did you see the great picture of the Tohatsu engine in the picture Rummy posted last week?

Bill Effros