[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Sun Sep 12 15:34:57 EDT 2004

Ron,

As Bill said, "Here we go again!"  About 14 months ago, I did extensive
research & wrote a lengthy FAQ regarding the subject of 2-cycle vs 4-cycle
outboard engines.  I submitted the FAQ; but, unfortunately, it was never
published on the FAQ web site.  I reviewed the effects of the emission
control laws that are going to kick in on Jan 1, 2006 & how each of the
major outboard manufacturers are going to meet those new regulations.  The
bottom line is: After Jan 1, 2006 the only new outboard engines that will be
legal to sell in the USA in the sub 20 hp class will probably be 4-cycle
type engines.  There will be larger 2-cycle outboards that utilize various
versions of a technology called direct fuel injection (DFI) and which do
meet the 2006 regulations.  In the FAQ, I predicted we would not see this
DFI technology trickle down to the smaller outboards appropriate for our
Rhodes 22's for various technical & economic reasons.  As of this writing,
we are about 15-1/2 months away from the deadline.  So far, no manufacturer
has introduced a small 2-cycle outboard that is 2006 emissions compliant.  I
may yet be proved wrong; but, the outboard manufacturers are going to have
to hurry.

You know, it's too bad your outboard didn't fail next summer.  I bet you'd
be able to get some really good deals on the last stock of 2-cycle outboards
in the late summer of 2005.

Bill & I don't agree on this issue of 2-cycles vs. 4-cycles & I have no
intention of getting into it all over again.  As far as I'm concerned, the
environmental science & government regulations are on my side & make the
issue a dead horse.  But hey, you're a big boy & this is still a free
country.  You can still legally purchase a new small 2-cycle outboard in the
USA for about 15-1/2 months.  I leave it to you to decide whether you want
to be the owner of one of the last 2-cycles.

I already voted with my pocket book in 1996 and 2000.

Good luck!

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium