[Rhodes22-list] Seeking advices on accesories for 1983 Rhodes 22

Mary Lou Troy mltroy at verizon.net
Thu Sep 16 08:27:51 EDT 2004

Kenny,
Can't help with most of your questions but there are a couple I have some
thoughts on.

At 01:13 PM 9/13/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>-Mostly for weekender use. Can trailer up after use. Currently have a
>porta potty. No problem putting chemical in it, and dumping it out in
>toilet after use, but thought a pump out might be convenient for longer
>trip/visit to other marinas. Is pump-out necessary when visiting marinas,
>i.e. can't take porta potty out and dump ?

We have the portapotti. Depending on where you trailer to, a pumpout could
be hard to find. They are more plentiful in some places than others. For
example, while they are available at many marinas in Maryland, the county
launch ramps don't have those facilities so if we were launching there, a
pumpout at a marina would be an extra trip. We usually just bring ours home
for dumping and cleaning. I've never found a marina that specifically
prohibited dumping a porta-potti. Marinas with lots of small boats
sometimes have a facility for dumping porta-pottis. Otherwise we just dump
it in the bathroom. The fancier the marina, the more likely that we will
dump it late at night.

>-Definitely want at least a bimini top to keep the sun out. Boom Room
>seems to be an overkill, especially if it costs an arm and a leg, and
>inconvenient to set-up/tear down, and can't be use as a sun screen during
>the day & while sailing

We really like our bimini. Shade in the hot sun, a bit of dry in the rain.
It does add excess windage. We usually fold ours up sailing in winds over
12-15 knots. When folded it's less in the way forward on the cabintop but
it's there. We don't have a boom room but we spend lots of nights at
marinas and the pop-top enclosure makes that possible. Standing headroom,
privacy and screens. Stock biminis are available from lots of marine
catalogs. Aluminum bows are cheaper than stainless though not as sturdy.
The best prices may be Overton's. There seem to be a couple of different
attachment arrangements. Ours is a two bow bimini. It attaches to bases
screwed into the top of the coaming. Others have bases that slide on the
genoa track. Don't have the dimensions at hand but you want it wide enough
to attach to your desired attachment point and just high enough to fit
under the boom in the up position so you can sail with it up.

>-Can get 110V from the house when trailer up, and if the only good use is
>for charging the battery, then 100V hookup/distribution/installation/cost
>do not seem warranted

We keep the boat in a slip and 110 is convenient for charging. We run an
electric light with a clip base and a gooseneck, a hot-pot (we're tea
drinkers), a fan and a charger. It's handy when we bring tools to the boat
or a vacuum. We don't have solar.

Hope this is helpful.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless