[Rhodes22-list] Mark - Photos

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Thu Sep 16 09:04:57 EDT 2004

Ed,

Here's a good read that contains list of lessons learned from one of the
guys on the Tayana list.

Mark

Well, I was off the boat, so Providence did more than I did. I was anchored
about 200' from the SE corner of the bay with a mangrove shoreline. However,
other boats were already tied into the mangroves themselves so I left her on
her hook; 175' of 5/16" HT to a 44# Bruce anchor which is about 10:1 scope
in 12ft of water if you add the height of the bow roller. I carefully drove
the entire circle to make sure there was at least 8' under the keel anywhere
the chain would stretch. I thoroughly buried the Bruce by backing on it for
several minutes at full RPM, then dove on it to make sure it had disappeared
into the muck. It was snubbed with a chafe-protected 3/4" nylon bridle
eye-spliced around the bitts. The other hook was ready to go out with
instructions to my caretaker to put it out if needed; a Danforth High-Test
on 50' 3/8" chain plus 3/4" nylon rode. I didn't put it out myself lest it
become entangled with everything else in the harbour before I left, and I
don't know if Mark set it or not. I stripped all the canvas and running
rigging of course, but the dinghy was lashed to the crossbars of the davits
with a taut dinghy cover to keep the water out; I'm told it's gone but no
details. I was only preparing for a tropical storm, not a Category 3
hurricane, so I didn't do as much as I could have or should have; had I any
inkling it would be this bad I would have deflated the dinghy and lashed it
to the coachroof, removed the windgen, and set a Bermuda anchor for sure. I
haven't heard but I expect the windgen is gone. I caged it but didn't remove
it, as it is what keeps the batteries charged when I am away. I'll let you
know the exact damages when I can get back to the boat.

No one expected the eye to go overhead, all the local forecasts had it
heading into the Grenadines with us on the southern, less powerful side.
I've heard now from those who stayed aboard that the eye went directly over,
with NE winds ending and SW winds coming after.

By far the worst damage was ashore; all 180 boats on the hard at the new
Spice Island Yacht Center fell over (see photo at link below) and 43 of the
180 boats at Grenada Marine in St. David's Harbor went down. Next worst were
the marinas; Clarkes Court Bay Marina's floating docks couldn't handle the
wind shift of the eye, broke up, and all boats plus the concrete pier are
piled atop one another on shore. Sea Witch, whose owner Bob ran the thrice
weekly VHF net, is ashore with the dock and several boats on top of her. The
former Moorings Marina at Secret Harbour is a pileup, with four boats afloat
of the 20 or so that lived there.

The worst off of those afloat not in marinas were those tied into the
shallow mangroves of Edgemont Bay; nearly all are aground, holed, damaged,
or sunk. Next worst were the moored boats in Mt. Hartman Bay; five on the
reef and several joined the pileup at Secret Harbour.

Least damaged were all of us on our own anchors huddled in Hog Island Bay.
Some dragged anchors and banged heads but most stayed put. Only one boat at
Hog Island is reported aground, and several liveaboard trimarans are
capsized. This is a theme in several bays; while most monohulls survived,
many of the big cruising tris and cats are upside down.

I guess if there is any lesson it's trust your own gear, not anyone else's;
stay away from hard things that go bump like docks, water all around is the
best thing for a boat; own a monohull; read your maps carefully when
selecting your hurricane hole; and pray a lot. Maureen and I liked the look
of Hog Island best mostly because of the reefs that make it a devil to
enter; they break the sea fetch, and the mangrove islands all around seemed
like good shelter. They were.

There is no travel to the island yet, looting everywhere, so we don't know
yet when we'll get back aboard.

If you want to read more and see photos go to
http://clarkescourtbaymarina.com/ivan.htm and follow all the links.

Greatly relieved,

Charlie
s/v Kamaloha