[Rhodes22-list] Mary Lou's Lee helm

Bob Weber ruba1811 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:13:00 EDT 2004

Mary Lou, I am inclined to believe your problem is in the fairing of the
centerboard or keel.  Does the boat sail right on anchor in a current?  In a
calm marina put someone onboard, put the rudder up and give the boat a
shove.  If it steer right that is your problem.  You may have to repeat this
a few times to ensure accuracy of results.  That meathod worked well on
fairing the keel on my RC sailboat - of course it was much easier to do
repeated times.  Another guess is that the piviot for the CB is not
horizontal and the board retracts at an angle toward the Port Side.  This
would not manifest the Right turning tendancy until under sail.  Just a
guess but the testing should be cheap and not require a haul-out.  Good luck

Bob Weber