[Rhodes22-list] Political

Grayson/Ena Lynn agl2001 at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 17 18:44:06 EDT 2004

Bary wrote:

> I'm amazed at the ignorance of people....convicted felons are ineligible to vote.

Well now don't get overly amazed too soon, Bary. As it so often happens these days, something that "everybody knows" is simply not true.  To quote from the link cited below:

... four states allow felons to vote while they are in prison, 18 allow felons to vote while they are on parole and 21 allow them to vote while on probation. Only 10 states permanently disenfranchise all felons...

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/mfelonvote.html

The real reason that some felons can't vote is that they are black, and it is thought that black felons would tend to vote for Democrats.

Here in Florida, where we endure the double whammy of two Bush brothers at the same time, election abuses are especially blatant and egregious.  To quote from another link:

In addition to reports that the reliability of Florida's new electronic voting equipment is questionable at best, Florida's Secretary of State Glenda Hood distributed new lists of presumably ineligible voters that, just like in 2000, have been found riddled with errors that would have benefited Republicans.

Black Floridians, for example, vote overwhelmingly Democratic, while Hispanics there vote heavily Republican. The recently "cleansed" voting lists that were to be used in the upcoming presidential election were loaded with black felons, but failed to list any Hispanic felons who might also be ineligible to vote.

http://www.courier-journal.com/cjextra/editorials/2004/08/05/opin-baye085-6208.html

Here in the Sunshine state, where you can get ten years in prison for stealing a six-pack of beer, president George W. Bush and his gang of thieves have indeed "locked up the vote of violent criminals" and anything else they can get their grubby hands on.  Strange that none of them are in prison... yet.

<G>