[Rhodes22-list] Lowering the Mast To The Stern

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:19:20 EDT 2004

   Slim,

         Did I miss the checklist for raising the mast?

         I think your caution should say DANGER!! and be at the
   beginning.  It should also contain a statement about looking for
   overhead wires and obstructions....not only where you are rigging up,
   but between there and the launch ramp.  Some marinas and public ramps
   do not cater to sailboaters or have set rigging
   areas. Somewhere around step 18 or 19, it can be noted to tug very
   very lightly on either of the shrouds (or guide lines) if needed to be
   sure the mast lands on the crutch.

    I would feel more confortable if the steps for raising are written
   out, instead of just reversing the steps.

        It seems that most of the changes in the stern raising/lowering
   method have been how to stabilize the mast beam-wise while raising and
   lowering.  Whether to connect the forestay before the lower forward
   shrouds is a matter of personal preference provided one or better yet
   both are connected BEFORE the aft lowers are un hooked from the crane
   pole.

       One variation to the shroud extenders was to screw tiny eye
   straps to the mast.  Light lines were attached between these eyes and
   secured to the brackets slid onto the cabin top handrails; which are
   positioned slightly aft of the mast bolt slot.  This is the method
   described in the instructions on the document library page. With this
   method, the forward shrouds are not used in raising.  Connecting the
   forward lower shrouds before the crane pole is disconnected is
   stressed.  See
   [1]http://www.rhodes22.org/doclib/Rhodes22-1988-MastHoist-Raven.pdf

       I used this method the few times I raised and lowered my mast.  I
   even stopped lowering once with the mast at about 50 degrees of tilt
   to re-adjust the tension on one of these lines. But I must point out
   that I use a home-made trailer winch system.  It is generally modeled
   after the GB system, uses a two speed (two gear range) winch, and is
   much sturdier.

       Another variation found in the FAQ's is/was used by Rik.   He said
   he attached the forward lowers to the mast crane pole, and attached
   the aft lowers to the forward's lowers chainplates using the
   extenders.  I still like Roger's T-handle "field expedient" method.

   Todd