[Rhodes22-list]Political response - Marks Bumper

Mark Kaynor mark at kaynor.org
Mon Sep 20 20:19:01 EDT 2004

Ed,

Easy, now, lad. I wasn't trying to justify Mr. Clinton's behavior by
comparing his lies to Bush's. In rereading my post, I can see that perhaps I
wasn't clear enough. That bumper sticker was over the top, by my standards.
Funny, but over the top.

My point was that today's politics seem to rely so much on "Tactics of
Extreme Polarization" (let's call it TEP) that it's nearly impossible to get
any sort of balanced view any more. The political rhetoric, immediate ads by
the campaigns responding to what the other candidate says in totally biased
terms, the ungodly amount of money spent in purely media/ad/marketing hype
to manipulate people into doing what you want really piss me off. The fact
that they work is even more frustrating. Seems like, unless you're an
extremist, you're not going to be heard in today's political debate.

Steve,

Hadn't seen your post until Ed copied it in his reply. What planet are you
from? What child in their oh-so-tender formative years watches the news and
knows that's what went on? Aren't you able to instill moral and ethical
standards into your kids such that they know some yahoo making stuff up to
stay out of trouble isn't "the Truth"? Besides, almost all the kids I know
are way more interested in MTV and "The Real World" <not!!> than they are in
current events. And the ones who do pay attention are already sophisticated
to know the difference. And how does one equate the loss of innocence with
the loss of life? Sheesh!

I had exactly the same experience with "TEFH" (The Ex-wife From Hell) that I
had w/ Clinton. She said "we didn't have sex" in reference to someone else
exactly the way Clinton meant it, too. You know what? Liars are freaking
liars - I don't care if they're the president, a senator, or TEFH. Our kids
will be a lot better off if we educate them to learn to use their God-given
intellect to look for the holes in the lies - that the liars will use
whatever means they can to bullshit and use us - than if they're dead.
Dead's a lot more permanent.

Mark