[Rhodes22-list] Raising the Mast with The Bow Crane

Steve Alm salm at mn.rr.com
Tue Sep 21 17:47:27 EDT 2004

Roger,

Thank you for commenting and your point is well taken.  I usually raise and
lower the mast when the boat is on the water and can't step off to connect
the bow stay from the front, like you said.  This is one of the trickier
steps since it's hard to reach/see from the deck and I'm usually laying on
my belly and worrying about dropping the hardware overboard.  Getting the
crane pole out of the way first would make it easier so long as the bow stay
reaches its chain plate without having to struggle with it.  Getting the pin
clipped in is hard enough without having to push or pull on the stay,
especially if you're alone.  If everything's set up right in the first
place, with the back stay tensioning line loose, the bow stay should reach
its chain plate just fine.

Keep those comments coming!

Slim