[Rhodes22-list] Pointing

Peter Thorn pthorn at nc.rr.com
Wed Sep 22 21:58:26 EDT 2004

Hello Ed,

If you verify that you're able to point your R22 35 degrees off the true
wind, I certainly would like to visit Lake Hartwell to see that.   Perhaps
it's the apparent wind, the combination of the boat's velocity across the
bottom combined with the true wind direction, that's making you think you're
pointing so close. On a reasonably fast boat like R22, the apparent wind
angle can move quite a bit forward.  In an extreme example such as iceboats
(that travel many times the true windspeed) the wind indicator points almost
straight forward.

Are your headsail sheets led to tracks at the foot of the cabinhouse roof?
That, I think, would certainly improve pointing.

It's good to be aware of the difference between pointing and pinching.
Sailing too close to the wind can cause the underwater foils to slow down
then stall.  That's pinching.  When the keel, cb and rudder stop producing
lift, the boat will start to produce a lot of leeway, or sideways drift.  It
is very difficult to detect leeway when aboard the boat that's making all
the leeway.  The bow points higher, so the skipper might think he's pointing
pretty high because the sideslip is so hard to feel.  To avoid this
condition, foot off and keep the boat moving.  After regaining speed, head
up a little.

If you have a GPS you can verify your pointing angle by measuring your
heading (not the direction the bow is pointing), tack to the other tack,
measure heading again and divide the angle difference by 2.  I think someone
mentioned this not too long ago on the list.

I too have wondered about the diamond board, and would guess Phil Rhodes
original cb is pretty hard to improve on.   A while back Roger wrote a very
scientific sounding comparison, do you recall that?

Perhaps you Lake Hartwell guys should conduct on-the-water pointing trials
and settle the issue.

PT