[Rhodes22-list] Outboards

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Thu Sep 23 12:29:53 EDT 2004

Bill,

It's obvious you are not much of an experimentalist.  The experiment is
easy.  You fill up the gas tank, go motor around for a while, noting the
mileage traveled on your knotlog or GPS, & finally go fill up the gas tank
again.  The gas pump gives you the fuel used accurate to 3 significant
figures, certified accurate by annual state inspection.  I owned the 6 hp
Evinrude 2-cycle engine from 1987 to 1996.  I was able to repeat this fuel
consumption measurement many times & it was very reproducible.  I have used
my current 8 hp Honda 4-cycle outboard from 1996 to the present and have
made this measurement several times.  Again, the fuel consumption is very
reproducible.  Overall, I estimate my fuel consumption data is accurate to
about +/- 5%.

You could cancel out the effects of current in your location by running back
and forth across the stream instead of with & against the current.  Instead
of going on about how my data are no good, why don't you go out & take some
of your own?  I think you will be shocked at how bad your fuel mileage
really is.

 Most small boat owners use their engines much more than you do.  Your
meager engine usage is not a valid reason not to ban small 2-cycle
outboards.  It just means you will probably be using your 2-cycle outboard
long after they become a relatively rare sight on the water.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilbrium