[Rhodes22-list]Speed Over Ground

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Sep 24 12:10:18 EDT 2004

Michael,

You know better.

We were discussing Speed Over Ground.

If you are in the East River, which has a current that moves in both directions at varying speeds up to 6 kts. It is impossible to determine gas "mileage" no matter what you do.

As I've mentioned before, you can go down the East River at 12 kts. (SOG) in an R-22.  Many days you can beat the cars down the same run.  It's a thrilling ride in every way.  As Peter correctly noted, there can be an incredible about of really big traffic in a situation where everyone else has the right of way and no one is completely in control of their vessel.

Granted, this is an extreme example to make the point, but as you know, everyone on LIS (and that's a lot of people) faces it every time we move in our boats, and it has to be factored into all of our equations.

Lots of other people face it too--the people on dammed lakes, people on rivers, in fact, the Hudson River travels in both directions down here.

There is no absolute ratio between the amount of power generated by your engine, the amount of gas consumed, and the amount of land you can cover in your boat at a given speed for a given amount of time.

Bill