[Rhodes22-list] Effros' port of sail and da list

P&M Beals beals at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 24 12:23:47 EDT 2004

Bill, do you sail on LIS?  I just checked Rummy's updated  list and don't
see your name on there...since I have notions of one day sailing or MOTOR
SAILING (scandal) from NJ to LIS I am curious to know where on the map to
place you.. and with the current issues you raise on East River- I know my
father always told me about those currents...I would want my motor to be
well tested and strong, which so far the Yamaha 4 stroke seems to be running
smoothly, strong and start-up reliable.

it is really interesting to see if geography and home location influence the
politics of the email author...not that I have been trying to pinpoint all
of you folks.  in fact lately I have to delete a lot since it takes so much
time to wade through-

Phyllis

> From: "Bill Effros" <bill at effros.com>
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:10:18 -0400
> To: "The Rhodes 22 mail list" <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
> Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list]Speed Over Ground
>
> Michael,
>
> You know better.
>
> We were discussing Speed Over Ground.
>
> If you are in the East River, which has a current that moves in both
> directions at varying speeds up to 6 kts. It is impossible to determine gas
> "mileage" no matter what you do.
>
> As I've mentioned before, you can go down the East River at 12 kts. (SOG) in
> an R-22.  Many days you can beat the cars down the same run.  It's a thrilling
> ride in every way.  As Peter correctly noted, there can be an incredible about
> of really big traffic in a situation where everyone else has the right of way
> and no one is completely in control of their vessel.
>
> Granted, this is an extreme example to make the point, but as you know,
> everyone on LIS (and that's a lot of people) faces it every time we move in
> our boats, and it has to be factored into all of our equations.
>
> Lots of other people face it too--the people on dammed lakes, people on
> rivers, in fact, the Hudson River travels in both directions down here.
>
> There is no absolute ratio between the amount of power generated by your
> engine, the amount of gas consumed, and the amount of land you can cover in
> your boat at a given speed for a given amount of time.
>
> Bill

>>> Re = Reynold's Number
>>> L = Characteristic Dimension Or Length Of The Flowing System (ft)
>>> V = Fluid Velocity (ft/sec)
>>> ro = Fluid Density (lb/ft^3)