[Rhodes22-list] Foresails with Roger's Adjustments

Roger Pihlaja cen09402 at centurytel.net
Fri Sep 24 13:52:31 EDT 2004

Ed,

With your standard 175% genoa reefed down to 120%; it will be impossible to
get a really good sail shape.  When the genoa is reefed that much, you lose
luff tension & there is that big "lump" of reefed sail right on the leading
edge disturbing the airflow.  You would find you can sail to weather better
if you reef your mainsail 1st & leave as much of your genoa up as you can.
The Rhodes 22 gets most of its drive from the genoa.  The partially reefed
mainsail will be less subject to backwinding from the 175% genoa & you will
be able to take advantage of the best possible genoa sailshape up into
higher wind speed ranges.  Remember, the Rhodes 22 hull develops weather
helm as it heels.  By reefing the mainsail 1st & leaving up as much genoa as
possible, you are unbalancing the sail plan & introducing lee helm.  But,
the weather helm due to the heeling of the boat will cancel out the lee helm
from having most of the sail area forward of the mast & result in a more
nearly neutral helm, better boat speed, & better pointing ability.

If Fred's sails are old & blown out; then, that alone would account for his
100 - 110 degree tacking angles.

I'm probably going to start another argument; but, the diamond centerboard
boats are also the ones most likely to have a 175% genoa & the IMF mainsail.
A big overlapping headsail and a smaller, battenless mainsail with no roach
is not the hot setup for sailing to weather.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium