[Rhodes22-list] Fred's Sails

Steve rhodes2282 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 24 14:15:26 EDT 2004

Slim
Say your racing.  Wind pick up to around 15 or better.
 Its been variable but it now blowing at 15.  Your on
starboard tack and based on the mark; you want to stay
that way.  There is a special block that will snap
over your sheet (I'm drawing a blank on it actual
name) but you can also just use a dock line and loop
the line through the hole which will tighten up the
dockline on your sheet in order to give you a
different angle of pull on the sheet.  This will allow
you to flaten you Geneoa out to maintain a higher
point.  After you do that, then adjust your windward
sheet and lead so that when you do tack, your new
lewward sail set will be right.  BTW: you will release
the secondary & take it off before tacking.

Generally, when the wind pick up, flatten the headsail
when going to windward and keep it that way.  Better
to backwind the main and let the Genoa do the work.
But always keep the headsail pulling.
Steve