[Rhodes22-list]Politics: Another Fearless Prediction

Marc Steiger Marc.Steiger at dlptech.com
Mon Sep 27 11:21:59 EDT 2004

Rummy-

I think the premise for the war was badly stated by President Bush, but
there was more than one reason. The threat of WMD was a reason, and the
primary one given by Bush, and I think the administration believed that
Saddam had WMD and certainly most the world felt Saddam was a mad
dictator.
And your right, we were wrong, there were no WMD found in Iraq.

But why is fighting radical fundamentalist Islam not a socially or
politically correct view. Who do you think blew up the trade towers, who
blew up the airlines in Russia, who blew up the Hotels in Indonesia(?
geography), who killed the children in the schoolhouse in Russia, who
developed terrorism as a tactic in Israel, who tried to set off a shoe
bomb on a flight from England.  Can't you see the connection, it's not
just one organization, it's a social structure that spans countries and
promotes the use of terrorism to fight western targets and values.  It's
not just located in Afghanistan, and it has been quietly sponsored by
States mostly located in the Middle East.

We used to ignore it, thinking we were safe here in North America. That
changed. We have to bring the battle to them. We did it well in
Afghanistan, and less well in Iraq, but being in Iraq puts American
Power in the middle of the middle east. It was the most expedient
country to go into.

Marc