[Rhodes22-list]Politics: Another Fearless Prediction&WMDs

Jim White jdwhite at utpa.edu
Mon Sep 27 15:38:03 EDT 2004

   Consider this:
   Clostridium botulinum, the bacteria responsible for the production of
   the botulism pathogen is easily produced by any individual who has
   ever taken an upper level microbiology class, and is familiar with
   basic organic chemistry.
   With a molecular weight between 200,000 and 400,000, this is the most
   toxic chemical substance known (Casaret and Doull's Toxicology: The
   Basic Science of Poisons; 1987, pgs 792-794). The LD50 (leathal dose
   that would kill 50% of the population tested) is measured in
   picograms, a fantastically small quantity.
   According to the Journal of the American Medical Association (Vol.
   285, No. 8, Feb. 28, 2001) in an article titled " Medical and Public
   Health Following the Use of A Biological Weapon: Consensus Statements
   of the Working Group on Civilian Defense, "A single gram of
   Crystalline toxin evenly dispersed" (sic) "would kill more than one
   million people"
   I reckon that might qualify as some sort of WMD (Assuming that among
   there was at least one person who had the intelligence to culture
   bacteria) no? Pretty easily hidden and/or transported no? You're
   right, we never found them, but just because we found no "WMD's"
   doesn't mean they don't exist. I'd be willing to bet a bottle of 25
   year old Flor de Cana that they do, and we'll probably find out about
   it one of these days, if not by botulinium toxin, than any one of a
   number of others easily produced. It doesn't take a genius to deduce
   that.
   But what to do about it? Diplomacy? Try and reason with a rabid dog.
   Intervention? So far....no good. I guess the best we can do is try and
   stay a unified people and deal with each problem as it arises, maybe
   show a little proactiveness where necessary (and hope our leaders know
   what that means). One thing's for sure: In our current course, no
   matter who wins this current election, it looks like we'll be a deeply
   divided and bitter nation, and maybe one ripe for the taking, because
   damnit we're too preoccupied fighting among ourselves.
   Fighting terrorism is akin to trying to eliminate an animal species
   like cockroaches. About the best you can do is rid your own house from
   them, and if you don't keep vigilant watch, they come back twice as
   bad.
   Sorry if I've raised any paranoia levels.
   jw
   Le Menagerie