[Rhodes22-list] Political - quotes and the closet.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Sep 29 17:05:55 EDT 2004

Grayson/Ena Lynn wrote:
> It's getting really hard to know who to believe these days; one says that
> patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel, while the other claims that a
> foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.  Or was that a couple
> of other fellas?

Point well taken.  Perhaps it is time to walk away from
quotes and start thinking for ourselves.  There are so
many shades of gray in the last couple of months'
discussions that it is a study in chiaroscuro.

We have been and continue to be deluged with factiods and
sound bites that obscure as much as they reveal.  There
has been much truth laid in front of us, but often not the
whole truth.  In many ways, there is so much data that
analyzing and comprehending it all is impossible for Joe
citizen, even those who are caring and thoughtful.

In the balance between realpolitik and ethics, I come
down harder on the ethical end -- not to the exclusion of
careful and vigorous response to attack -- but rather to
ensure that we do not exclude ourselves from the
worldwide fabric of nations.

Cowboy nationalism is fine until we realize that we are
one of several guys locked in a closet, each with a live
grenade in hand.  Yes, the world has shrunk to that point,
both militarily and economically, and its time we came to
grips with that reality.

Remember the phrase "Better dead than red?"  Well, folks,
we are now in a new period of hysteria, and the stakes are
even higher this time.  Armies in the field are tangible
evidence of the failure of intelligence and diplomacy,
just as they were then.

We must demand more of our leaders, not give up more
rights to make it easy for them.

/Bob Skinner