[Rhodes22-list] Political/warin Iraq.

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Sep 29 19:30:25 EDT 2004

So, you're advocating the idea that reservists should be free to go AWOL
or even desert if they don't agree with their commanders? I REALLY try
to stay out of the political discussions on here, but that one I would
take a BIG issue with.

Herb Parsons wrote:

> I don't think he was advocating not supporting troops. I don't think
> jab at those NOT reporting is a lack of support. Anyone, no matter
their
> job, that begins to behave as a criminal deserves to be treated as
such.
> When you join the military, you give up the "right" to decide whether
or
> not to report to your boss.

Perhaps the message is not that desertion/AWOL is OK,
but rather the fact that so many reservists (if the
number is correct) are willing to risk so much in
defiance of orders.

A reserve army structure is naturally more influenced
by civilian issues than the regular forces.  IMHO, it
is very possible to overstress a reserve/volunteer
military structure with a divisive or unpopular war.

Perhaps that is what is going on...

/Bob Skinner